Wednesday 2 January 2008

C-C-C-C-C-COLD...

Man alive - they tell you about the cold here, but I clearly underestimated the chill. To put it mildly, it's rather... bracing. It's quite good though as there's something quite fun about wrapping up in coat after coat, hats, scarves, gloves etc. My face was numb for most of today, as it was especially nippy - apparently most of Britain will get snow sometime tonight or tomorrow. Just quietly, I can't wait!

After a fairly quiet New Year's Eve (playing Transformers Risk... geeky, huh?!) some bright spark decided New Year's Day would see us up early for a nice wee walk up to top of the Moor.
We didn't wake up till 11 - so far, so good... and from there it's all about the numbers...
  • Times Eryn fell over in the peat swampy-bog thing: 3.
  • Amount of sympathy from Kent, Rod & Louise: 0.
  • Temperature: I hate to think, but it felt about 2 or 3 degrees... if I round up.
  • How long Rod said the whole affair would take: 1 hr 20 tops.
  • Length of time it really took: 2hr 30min... okay, okay, maybe it was less, but it felt like ages!
It was actually really great, despite me being covered in mud for about half the duration of the walk, the Moors are really quite beautiful, in a vast and lonely way, and at the top there is the wreckage of a bomber plane which crashed in 1948 - even though it's been up there for almost 60 years, quite a bit of the fuselage is still identifiable - there's even some rubber left on one of the wheels! Kent was fascinated and took lots of photos... here's a few:


After that, things all started happening rather quickly... but as it's taken us almost 2 weeks to get this update published, we'd better save it until next time!

Be good
Kent & Eryn x

3 comments:

Jacq & Steve said...

Hey guys,

Grand idea this, it is very cool to know what you've been up too. Amazing pics of Kent's - Stevie had no idea there was such a crash site and as I am flooding my mind with Nigel Tranter before we journey your way I am really starting to appreciate these lil' reminders from the past more.

I cannot imagine that coldness at the mo, we have had lovely weather here, seeing us swimming in the bay most evenings. I have also realised that I moan badly when the temp drops below 20C. Steve has tried to convince me over the years that I would not tolerate a UK winter very well. The coldest he remembers his home town getting was -15C and -30 for Scotland at Dumfries. Though I do love the excuse for a huge selection of winter coats and scarfs!

Enjoy and look after each other. Chat soon.

AOL, Jacq & Stevie xoxo

Caro said...

Yes, really interesting about the crash site. I am wondering if it was what formed the basis of a crime novel I read based on Derbyshire. By Stephen Booth, but can't remember which one.

I would like to send the bit about the crash and the memorial to my message board but it doesn't come up on Word. Would you object if I directed people to your blog?

Perhaps we didn't go out too often in the winter, or perhaps living here we are used to it, but apart from the stone circle near Berriew I don't remember being bitterly cold in Britain. And that was a wonderful bracing feeling that made us understand a little of what it must have like living there 20,000 years ago.

Love Mum/Carolyn.

fdgs said...

Gidday, For thoes less initiatavised, click on the one photo. You will be directed to Picassa Web. Then click "I Accept" then the little album will be there.
Kent